Grub installation fails in Linux BMR..

Hi all,

This topic is purely on a problem in installing grub in my LINUX BMR process... A major problem too..

I am designing Linux BMR where i do the following..

• Backup the " / " as a whole .. with partition details ..etc
  • And using the Knoppix Live CD i first create the partitions with respect to backed up data , and mount the partitions..
  • Then i copy all the files to the hard disk.. and apply symbolic links.
  • Finally i install grub to the hard disk.

By doing the above process , i am able to backup and restore the CentOS machine of Version more than 6.0. But the problem comes in lesser versions in the final stage (i.e) in the time of installing grub.

I use this command " chroot /mnt grub-install /dev/sda1 " to install grub which worked fine for versions more than 6.0 . But the same is throwing stage1 file not read correctly while installing in 5.5 version. But while i use grub command line and give "root \(hd0,0\) and setup \(hd0\)" then it is getting installed.. and i got the system booted..

I cant follow this grub command line while i go for coding. I am in need of some one's help now.. I need to clarified on the following..

• Why grub-install command giving stage1 error in versions less than 6.0
  • Is grub scriptable ??
  • How can i solve this problem , is there any other way to install grub through UNIX C++ code..??

Kindly revert me , if u need some further clarifications...

Thanks

Selva

Well, what changed with grub between v5 and v6? Is it a different version of grub? Take a look at what files are present inside /boot between the two versions.