grub help

in dual os grub will ask like this (linux 9 (red hat))
linux(bigmem)
linux(smallmem)
dos

so i want that grub will ask like this
dos
linux(bigmem)
linux(smallmem)

how to do this

Edit your /etc/grub.conf file or /boot/grub/menu.lst and move the entries around. They are blocks so make sure you move all the appropriate lines or your system may not come back up. Also make sure you change the default entry to point to the correct menu item. If default=0 and you move it like you said, you'll want to change default=1.

Why do you want to move them around?

Carl

i wanted to do this back when i started using grub (and soon after taking up linux) because if you still use windows as your main or default system, then it's logical to want to put it at the top of the list.

You might not have noticed, seshumohan, but inside menu.lst or grub.conf, you can also change the identifiers (eg: dos) to say something more meaningful (eg: MS Windows 2000) and this will appear in the list instead at boot time.

This is a funny question also because i think with lilo you specify the list position explicitly in the config file using 0,1,2 etc (don't you?) so, anyone used to lilo, and starting to use grub might not think of rearranging the entries to get the same effect.

my present problem is iam using kubuntu os

how to play mp3 & mpeg songs and movies respectively

and another one when iam installied on my friends system it came correctly but when restarted displaying messege error 17 unable to load grub what may be the problem

1: apt-get install vlc
xine
gxine
for movies

apt-get install xmms
amarok
for mp3

for 2. try to reinstall grub in the mbr of you disk:

grub-install /dev/hdx or /dev/sdx
and set the bootable flag for boot partition with fdisk /dev/hdx

and I think its "a" after that, then you can choose to toggle the boot flag

post your grub.conf and the output of fdisk -l (boot from cd) for further grub questions

1).How many operationg operating systems can be installed on a single hard disk ....?

presently ihave installed winxp,red hat linux , kubuntu linux

2).
how many times a hard disk can be formatted

1) this depends. i *think* that your hard drive can only have up to four primary partitions, meaning that if each of those were bootable, then you could have an operating system on each, therefore four. Of course, if you have a secondary partition, it can contain any number of partitions. These will not be bootable by some bootloaders, but i *think* grub will be able to boot from inside a secondary partition (please, if any of this is wron, please somebody correct me! it's all from memory). Here's a link you might like to read, which may be somewhat relevant: http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-flex.html

I did hear once about a guy who had installed 41 operating systems onto one machine, i think. i am not sure what the record is, but i would think that comes close!

2) you can format your disk as many times as you like. there's no limit, like, you've formatted it four times, and now you've only got one go left before you have to throw it out! it's not like that at all, just wipe it and start again, as many times as you like. I could be misunderstanding your question though.

many people would say that this isn't really a problem! :wink:

see Perderabo's "octave" article in the "Tips and tutorials" section.