Group Permissions - How to tell the difference

I am a member of a few different user groups.

I would like to see what the difference is....

Can anyone tell me how to look at permissions side by side ?

We are using :
SunOS xxxxxx 5.10 Generic_127111-09 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V440

Thanks !

Difference between what ?

Hi all,

Just putting any question for fun or if it suddenly comes in mind is not so good. It reduces the effectiveness of this so wonderful forum. We should try to make sure that we are following the thread after posting any query.

Thanks,
Deepak

What makes you think a question was posted there just for fun ?
My understanding is the OP question is unclear and should be rephrased/elaborated to get an appropriate answer.

Open up different login sessions via ssh using the different role/profile.
Then you can run whichever commands on the different windows concurently and check whatever you want to see

I access multiple solaris servers.
I am a member of various groups across those multiple servers.
I am told, I should have particular group memberships, but, are your ready for this one, no one knows why.

So for instance, if the output of the command "groups Popeye" returns

house boat car

what does being a member of any or all give me that any or all of the rest do not, by way of permission. What does the group allow me to do, see, execute ? .. and how does/do each compare to others.

does house only provide certain permission, the answer I would imagine is yes ... but what are they and how do (or do they not) differ from boat and car ?

I cant look into /etc/group to try and get some info on each group.
I cant run chdgrp (not even sure if that is a supported command any longer)

... and I have been in networking for almost 30 years .. did some mini unix admin ... but not true unix admin .. I never joke. If I did choose to do so, It would be very clear that my statements are joking around.

Regret if my saying hurts anyone. I just wanted to say that the posting should always be followed up by the owner so that the problem ends with a solution and other users get a remedy for their upcoming problem.

Thanks,
Deepak

You can't tell, what a group is good for, from just looking at the group name, like you cannot tell, what a specific key is good for, before you know all locks.

A start would be to check for files or directories on the system that belong to a group in question. Membership in a specific group could entitle you to read or write certain data or execute programs.

But there are also uses of groups that you can not find just from the operating system point of view. In DB2 for example, you can grant rights to database objects based on operating system group membership.

So I am afraid, it is not possible to answer your question

Each file on a Unix filesystem belongs to a user and a group.
When you are accessing to the filesystem, you are also having a single user identifier and a single effective group identifier. Run the "id" command to see them.
Each file has also read, write and execute permissions for its owner, its group and others (eg: rwxr-xr--).
If you are the file owner, the first set of permissions apply, here you can read, write and execute the file.
If your current group is the same of the file the second set apply, here you can read and execute the file but not write (modify) it.
Otherwise, the last set apply. You can only read the file.
You change (i.e. login) to a new group with the newgrp command.

ACLs are an alternative, more modern and flexible way to grant attributes to users.

Yes. Thank you ..
I do understand id ... and the format of /etc/passwd and/or /etc/shadow .. not too much help here though.

Hummm ... tough. I cant open a ticket with the admins asking that they either remove me or add me to/from any group without being able to define what they are.

I guess Ill just leave them alone. But you know .... it just bothers me ... I like to keep my stuff tight ... know ?

Thanks to all.

This looks pretty pointless. How would the rest of us know what these secondary groups allows you to do ?