Group file format

I posted this in the unix for dummies section yesterday, but I don't think I was clear, so I am reporting here. I am working with a unix server with Solaris 10. I see from the Solaris security guide that the ASET tool will check group files for formatting problems an correct them. I was interested in knowing in general what potential security vulnerabilities could be created by having formatting issues in the etc group file. I have these issues in my group file . I am not looking for a specific answer for my server but just for example so you can understand. Group 1 should have a password of xx a gid of 600 and have user1 as the only group member. In my file it would look like this.

Group 1:xx:
600:user1

There are many variations of formatting errors in the file just looking for a general answer to any potential security issues group file formatting problems can create.

You got an answer there from Corona688. Just because you got no or not satisfying answer, we do not encourage people to post in other sections again which results into double postings. These are not allowed in these forums.
So we can offer that you continue in your original thread or have the original thread moved to another area.
If the latter is your choice, contact any of the moderators or admins for a request.

Until then, this thread here stays close and please continue here:
Click me!.

1 Like