Grep all lines with the pattern .sh

Linux version : Oracle Linux 6.5
Shell : bash

In the the below text file (someString.text), I want to grep all lines with .sh in it. ie. Only the lines mysript.sh and anotherscript.sh should be returned.
My below attempts failed.
I gather that in regular expression world, dot (.) is the wild card for any single character . So, what is the workaround ?

$ cat someString.text
/bin/sh
/bin/ssh
korn shell
mysript.sh
anotherscript.sh

$ grep *.sh someString.text
$

$ grep sh someString.text
/bin/sh
/bin/ssh
korn shell
mysript.sh
anotherscript.sh
$
$
$ grep .sh someString.text
/bin/sh
/bin/ssh
korn shell
mysript.sh
anotherscript.sh
$
$
$ grep *sh someString.text
$
$ grep sh someString.text
/bin/sh
/bin/ssh
korn shell
mysript.sh
anotherscript.sh
$

The grep regular expression must be quoted. The dot has a special meaning ("any character") so it must be escaped with a back slash to use its literal meaning. try:

grep '\.sh$' file

The dollar sign signifies that the match must be at the end of the line.

1 Like

It might be better to quote the string you are searching for. The version grep *.sh someString.text could yield different results based on other files in the directory because the shell will assum you want to expand the * character to match all files that finish sh , so your command executed could end up being:-

grep 1sh 2.sh hello.sh my-oh-my.ksh wish someString.text

This would mean it would search for 1sh in all the other files listed, which probably is not what you want.

Additionally, the dot is a special character that matches any single character. That might seem odd, but you might want to match A..B to get A01B [/ICODE], A02B , A17B etc. so to ensure it is the literal character dot, you need to use a backslash \ to escape it.

With quoting, it might help a little, but you need to be clear on what you are searching for, so:-

• If you are looking for the literal string .sh then try grep '\.sh' someString.text
  • If you are looking for the literal string .sh at the end of the line, try grep '\.sh$' someString.text

In the latter, the $ in this case marks/anchors the search to the end of line. There could be other cases, such as .sh followed by a space, tab, hash etc., depending on the whole content of your file.

Does this do what you need, or are there other conditions to consider?

Kind regards,
Robin

1 Like

Another option is to use a literal string match (so the are no special meaning to characters) with the -F parameter. If .sh always only occurs at the end of the line anyway, you could also try:

grep -F '.sh' file
1 Like