Greeny boy needs your help. script "sort"

Hello!

I have an issue with sorting or pasting. Do not know what the problem is, been trying to fix it for days. I think I'm stupid.
My home task sounds like this: create 100 files with 1 random number ranging from 1 to 1000.
Then paste all numbers from those 100 files to 1 complete file and sort it from smallest to highest.
This is my script:

#!/bin/bash
rm -rf DATA
mkdir DATA
for x in {1..100}
do
touch DATA/$x.txt
shuf -i 1-1000 -n 1 > DATA/$x.txt
done
paste DATA/*.txt > DATA/ALL.txt
sort -g DATA/ALL.txt > DATA/ALL_sorted.txt

Problem is that all the data in ALL.txt is not in one column but in many and file ALL_sorted.txt is the same. Nothing sorts nothing.
HELP! I think the issue is in pasting but dunno.

Do not post classroom or homework problems in the main forums. Homework and coursework questions can only be posted in this forum under special homework rules.

Please review the rules, which you agreed to when you registered, if you have not already done so.

More-than-likely, posting homework in the main forums has resulting in a forum infraction. If you did not post homework, please explain the company you work for and the nature of the problem you are working on.

If you did post homework in the main forums, please review the guidelines for posting homework and repost.

Thank You.

The UNIX and Linux Forums.