gnuplot average of N curves

Hi
I am faced with a situation where I have to plot an curve which is an average of 10 tables. It is not possible to mathematically find an average (which would be correct) because my tables have the time of occurences of events, sometimes events wont occur at similar times in two or more iterations.

Is it possible using gnuplot to plot all the files (without averaging) and then use some function to plot a mean of all these curves?

I have no clue if it is possible.

Thanks a lot.

You first need to define what you mean by "average". I think you need to interpolate your data onto a fixed set of time points, and then find the mean of the datasets for each point on your fixed set. I don't think you can do this in gnuplot; you will first need to write a program to process your data. After that, plotting it will be simple.

Lee Phillips
gnuplot Cookbook
Available on Amazon

gnuplot is not an especially powerful data processing language, I agree external utilities would be a good idea for this. Perhaps awk or perl.

Could you show a sample of your input data, and a sample of the output you'd want?

Thanks both of you for replying. I will post the sample data soon. I don't have it in hand.
Thanks a lot.