GNU and Linux: Different or the same?

Sorry for sounding like an incredible n00b, but as I have been lurking and searching on the net, I have come across something that may be common sense to most, but to me is confusing. I constantly see the word GNU when I do searches for Linux, both on this web site and on search engines. I found out that GNU is an acronym for Not Unix (which doesn't explain the "g," but I will buy it :smiley: ). So is GNU another word for Linux, or are they something totally different? Maybe GNU is a part of Linux. I am confused. Can someone help me out?

GNU is a recursive acronym for Gnu's NOT Unix. this was common hacker naming proceedure in the AI labs back in the 70s. if you really want to get technical on the explanation, you could subscribe to Stallman's naming conventions for this whole GNU (/) Linux thing..... (gasps for air...) GNU is actually the operating system that uses the Linux kernel. the kernel is the last ( well close ) layer between the software and the hardware in a computer system. an operating system is basically a set of programs ( tools, if you will ) that make up the whole system. you have ls, cd, mkdir, cp, and many many others for filesystem manipulation, you have gcc for c code compilation, you have various tools for configuring devices, ie ifconfig , modprobe, insmod, etc etc etc. these are all what make up the operating system. we have a unix-like system today, ( which is effectivley unix, for all practical USAGE purposes, its UNIX ) IP issues and copyright aside, GNU/Linux IS unix. anyway what the GNU people would like you to call the operating system you are using, is GNU/Linux. GNU is the system, Linux is the kernel. originally the GNU system was going to use the HURD kernel, but it wasnt ready when Linux was ready for testing on the net, and so GNU uses linux as its kernel. and of course, the aim of all this was/is to create a 'free' unix like os, a non commercial OS that can be used, distributed however one likes, ( within the limitations of the GPL ), theres lots more explanation that could be given but i will stop there. for more info, see the gnu.org website, as well as one of my favorite sites for reading about cool stuff, the jargon file, hold on lemme find that link....here it is : The Jargon File

have alot of fun

ok so debian is classified as gnu/linux, which means it uses gnu's system, but linux's kernel. AND redhat is just linux... so does that mean it uses linux's system and kernel? SO really, debian would appear to be something totally different, because it uses a different system.

One thing I dont get is the name... GNU means Gnu Not Linux...?
That makes no sense. Thats like saying a cookie is comprized of a cookie, plus chocolate chips.

M.R. :confused:

No, GNU means "Gnu's not Unix", not "Gnu's not Linux" lol :wink:

If you keep expanding GNU out recursively in your mind, will it cause some sort of a stack overflow and eventual crash in the brain?

redhat is GNU/Linux as well. all linux distros are, as far as i know of. it is possible to use linux in a different environment, but i havnt heard of this on pc's.

This is some nice info...

So...

Linux is just the Kernal
GNU is the system
Redhat just puts its own brand on GNU and adds a few extra apps and calls it RedHat Linux...is that right.

And how come its called "Redhat Linux" and not "RedHat GNU" seen as the GNU is the part most people will be interacting with?

...or am I missing the point cos im a n00b.

GNU gives you the basic tool. Things like cp, mv, mount, gcc, GRUB. Those sorts of things. The tools that are small and do a single job are generally GNU and common across any *nix box you sit at.

Other user space stuff like Xfree, your email client, KDE are made by different groups.
The distro maker packages all these together to make it user friendly. They give you GUI config tools, a nice installer, themes, support, package management tools etc etc
They often modify the Linux kernel itself, doing things like 2.5 backports.
All distros are essentiall GNU/Linux it just depend who you are talking to as to whether they call it that.

The hardcore GNU people still regard Linux as a stop-gap until the HURD is fully ready, although the nay-sayers whinge that HURD is just vapourware.
Maybe you should check out www.gnu.org

I still dont get thing bit about the name "GNU" :frowning:
Every site says "GNU stands for 'Gnu Not Unix' recursively." What is this, some sort of inside joke?

M.R. :confused:

Quote from The GNU Project

Read the history that Richard Stallman has put in the link. It should answer all your questions.

I think that Stallman borrowed the concept from Doug Comer's xinu. xinu is much cooler. Not only does it mean "xinu is not unix", but it is unix spelled backwards.

nah, HURD is the best because it is mutually recursive. I can't remember what it actually is though... :slight_smile:

from somewhere on GNU.org :

" `Hurd' stands for `Hird of Unix-Replacing Daemons'. And, then, `Hird' stands for `Hurd of Interfaces Representing Depth'. We have here, to my knowledge, the first software to be named by a pair of mutually recursive acronyms. "

That's the one, good work soldier.

ok i get it now. all these name are some big computer joke. laugh laugh :rolleyes:

Yes, now you have it!

It 's all play on the irony of commercial interests in a world of open ideas and concepts.

This site is not Unix either, it is the UNiversal Internet eXchange.

So does this mean that linux cannot exist on it's own without the GNU system? It sounds like you cannot have the linux OS without gnu. Gnu being the system, meaning the actuall programs and what not, it seems you would not be able to do anything with the linux kernal without it.

And above someone said gnu is what give you ls, cd, mkdir, etc. I thought it was bash and all the other shells that gave you those functions.

sorry, i am still trying to learn :stuck_out_tongue:

BASH is a GNU product.

from 'bash --help'

"GNU bash, version 2.05b.0(1)-release-(i586-suse-linux)"

Yes, it could exist, but you would have to build an entire supporting environment. No, it cannot exist because the GNU environment is currently how Linux is supported :slight_smile:

So, since Linux is built on GNU and no one has built another supporting environment, GNU is the Linux supporting environment. If people build an entire supporting environment that was not GNU, then the situation would be different. But the situation is what is it..........

Ah okay I understand my friend :D. And I now agree with stallman, that OS's like red hat should infact be called gnu/linux.