Gnome session reverts back to gdm on login.

Hi everyone. I just had a quick problem. I'm not too familiar with linux yet, otherwise I'd have this figured out by now.

I recently did the Debian 5lenny7 update with the standard debian update manager. After getting all installed and rebooted, I tried to login to my account again. Every time I login, it will appear to boot the gnome session (e.g. background loads or panels start to appear) and then after a couple seconds, it will revert back to the main terminal and restart gdm. I tried the suggestions on archlinux with the gnome tty2 thing, but this is running in tty1 (I think) and nothing has changed.

KDE starts fine, and I can login with any other user account into gnome, but for some reason, only my account is affected.

Any suggestions? Could it be a problem with X maybe? Also, I'd include an error log, but I have no idea how to get one displayed.

Thanks!

Maybe your environment, .profile or such, is different, so it cannot load. Compare the output of 'set' on two accounts.

Well....they are definitely different. The account i'm on right now has limited access (e.g. no sudo access), and the list is fairly simple. The account i can't get into though has a set showing the standard details and (i assume) the functions for every terminal command. what things should i be comparing?

Things on the simple one that works that are missing or different on the one that does not. PATH and whatever does dynamic library path (LD_LIBRARY_PATH according to Google) are critical for anything.