GNOME Desktop - Setting missing from dconf-editor?

Hello All,

Last night I installed OpenSuSE 12.1 (i586) on a HP Mini 110 laptop. And I selected GNOME as my Desktop during install...

So I was trying to customize some things about the desktop, for example adding the Maximize/Minimize/Close options to the titlebar of a window.

I did this exact customization on an OpenSuSE 12.3 server running GNOME as well. What I did to get this on that server was:

So when I try this exact same thing on the 12.1 laptop I don't have the "wm" option to navigate to...

Does anyone know why I would be missing this option, is there a package I need in order to do this?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks in Advance,
Matt

Is the tweak tool loaded?

$ yum -y install gnome-tweak-tool $ gnome-tweak-tool

Try something like

dconf write /org/gnome/shell/overrides/button-layout '":minimize,maximize,close"'

google for other options

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the reply...

Ok so I installed the gnome-tweak-tool and changed the setting for:

Shell >> Arrangement of buttons on titlebar:  FROM-->'Close Only'   TO-->'All'

But nothing seemed to change from doing that... I also tried rebooting after the change but nothing changed then either.

So I then tried the dconf command you posted, and after running the command I checked the dconf-editor GUI and it is showing under Shell > Overrides > button-layout... But after restarting still nothing changed...

I think there has got to be something I'm missing on the laptop that the 12.3 srv has... Maybe metacity? I noticed it running on the server.
I'll try some more stuff in the mean time, but if anyone else has any ideas please feel free.

Thanks Again,
Matt

---------- Post updated 03-06-14 at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous update was 03-05-14 at 06:27 PM ----------

Ok I figured it out!!
It took me a while to get it working but it is finally working...!!

I had to change the settings in the GConf-Editor. The setting to fix this was under:

/ > desktop > gnome > shell > windows > button_layout

After making the change here I needed to logout and log back in and it fixed my window's titlebar to have all 3 buttons now.
Also, since the laptop is a HP Mini with a mini screen I also adjusted the font size for all the windows, but I don't really remember where that setting was...?

I could have sworn I had tried changing the button_layout setting before and it was giving me an error so I thought it was weird that it worked this time, but I
found out why that wasn't working at the time either. I had been trying to change this from the wrong location in the GConf-Editor... I was attempting to
change this from:

/ > schemas > desktop > gnome > shell > windows >  button_layout

But I was getting this error:

Thank goodness I found that setting in that other location!

But thanks for the help and suggestions!

Thanks,
Matt