Giving access to non root users to run application

Hi All,

I have created an RPM installer and installed it via ROOT user & which works fine on Red Hat.
But the problem oocurs when a non root users try to run that application (from their account), it never got executed (being it has the execute permission i.e. chmod a+x somefile.sh).

I want that application should be easily run by the non-root user.

Any help?

which application did you install?

What error message are you getting?

What about setuid?

As the owner, run:

chmod u+s /path/to/your/application

Thanks for the reply.
The application is developed by our team internally and I created the RPM installer for the same.

As for the trial basis, I entered "su" command and provided the root password (as I know because of testing purpose) and later it works fine.

Is this right?

Also can you give a bit on "stuid" ?

thanks

Did you try?:

chmod u+s /path/to/your/application

After adding the setuid flag to your app you should be able to run the application with a standard user account.

I tried chmod u+s to my executable shell script .... but still not the app is running. But when I am doing "su" and later executing ... it works

What are the permissions of your file?

What's the message you are getting?

There are so many things that could be wrong... Keeping in mind that there is very little information for anyone on this forum to work with.
If the application is for users, but requires root to execute, then it was poorly written. Not to be mean, it's just a fact.
Another possibility is the RPM was not built properly. Of course, root installs the RPM, but that doesn't mean the application/executables have to be owned by root.
If you're stuck with it, then install/configure "sudo". The application may run as expected, but I suspect there are issues with the application itself.
Some questions to ponder: Was the application developed to run as root? If not, why is root required now?
If it worked prior to the RPM build, what changed? Compare permissions/ownership...
Hope some of this helps...
:slight_smile: