Get Hostname in UNIX like environment in Windows (Cgwin, UWin)

Hi,

I'm using UWIN (from at&t - a cygwin like environment) in my personal computer to show Unix like environment to someone new to Unix. Though UWin has Ksh command box, wanted to show Putty to that person.

My question is. How to connect to Cygwin (or UWin) installed in personal computer through Putty instead of their command box.

I tried following

a) nslookup MyComputerName
result: xxxxxx.comcast.net

b) ping MyComputerName
result: Reply from fe80::xxxxx::xx:xxxx:xxxx: time < 1 ms

c) hostname
MyComputerName

d) uname -a
UWIN-VI MyComputerName 4.2/6.2 9200 i686 i686 i386 UWIN-XP

Appreciate your help if you let me know to connect Unix like environment (Cygwin/UWIN) in my personal computer using PUTTY.

In order to connect to a computer using putty or any other client tool, there has to be a server running on that system (in this case your personal machine). Putty can both ssh and telnet to a system. In order for either of these connections to be successful you have to run sshd or telnetd (respectively). So this is not just a matter of finding your hostname or ipaddress and it looks like you are using in ipv6 address.

Why not simpy install the environment on the other persons system. I would reallly recommend using vmware player and installing an opensource linux distribution. You won't have to worry about these issues.

You cannot connect directly using SSH to a UWIN/Cygwin "environment" on a Windows system. You end up in Windows.