General question about learning Python

I am planning on taking a class in Python. My choices are 2.5 or 3.0. Which version should I choose? I am getting the impression they are two separate paths.

thanks.

Well, training implies a vision of a profitable future, so wouldn't it make more sense to learn the latest, for the longer term? They usually add features, so a course in too high is better than a course in too low when trying to meet req. for hire/contract.

Of course, if there is a majority opinion to stay with 2.5 until something better than, and different than, 3.0 shows up, such an anomaly would augur otherwise.

If you are referring to some of the features no longer present in Python 3.0, such as these, then start with pre-3.0. Differences within the Python community on support for certain features will be ironed out over time. If you are new to the language, then you might as well start with the latest version.
Is there a reason why version 2.6 is not taught, just in case 3.0 is not available?

Python Versions 2.5.x or 3.0.x?

Both are wildly out of date but it would make sense to start in the 3.0.x range...

Current Python Version in 2.x.x range is 2.7.5 and in 3.x.x range is 3.4.0a1...

I personally enjoy writing Python code to work from 1.4.0 to 3.3.x on multi-platform without modification...

An example is here:-

Aminet - dev/src/BIG_TIME.py.txt

It works on Classic AMIGA OS, (WinUAE and E-UAE), Apple Macbook Pro 10.7.5, Debian Linux and PCLinuxOS 2009 from Python Versions 1.4.0 to 3.3.2 inclusive without modfication.

Have fun...

My suggestion is to start with python 3.x. Some good books tell you the difference and equivalent syntax used in both the versions of python.

For e.g., print ('Hello, World!') works in both python 2.x and 3.x;
where as print 'Hello, World!' will not work in python 3.x, because of the difference in interpretation of the print statement by python 2.x and 3.x

NOTE:-

"print" is a _statement_ in Python Versions up to the latest 2.7.x.

BUT, "print()" is now a function in Python 3.x.x.

It IS possible to get the function to work down to Python 1.4.0, and I have done it many times, but it is a little convoluted...