gcc installation in solaris 8

Hi, I am having trouble installing gcc 3.4.2-sol8-sparc-local in my sparc machine running solaris 8. It looks like I do not have enough memory in /var , but I have about 3GB free memory in /export/home. I have read some suggestion from previous threads that said it is possible to link /var and /export/home to obtain more space. How can this be done :confused: Are there any other suggestions out there?

Before going for that type of approach, I suggest you post the exact error you are getting from your pkgadd command, and the output of "df -k"

Here is the problem:

# pkgadd -d gcc-3.4.2-sol8-sparc-local

The following packages are available:
1 SMCgcc342 gcc
(sparc) 3.4.2

Select package(s) you wish to process (or 'all' to process
all packages). (default: all) [?,??,q]:

Processing package instance <SMCgcc342> from </export/home/vnmr1/samba/gcc-3.4.2-sol8-sparc-local>

gcc
(sparc) 3.4.2
cpio: Cannot write "reloc/lib/sparcv9/libgcj.so.5.0.0", errno 28, No space left on device
cpio: Cannot write "reloc/lib/sparcv9/libiberty.a", errno 28, No space left on device
cpio: Cannot write "reloc/lib/sparcv9/libobjc.a", errno 28, No space left on device
cpio: Cannot write "reloc/lib/sparcv9/libstdc++.a", errno 28, No space left on device
cpio: Cannot write "reloc/lib/sparcv9/libstdc++.so.6.0.2", errno 28, No space left on device
cpio: Cannot write "reloc/lib/sparcv9/libsupc++.a", errno 28, No space left on device
cpio: Cannot write "reloc/libexec/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/3.4.2/cc1", errno 28, No space left on device
cpio: Cannot write "reloc/libexec/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/3.4.2/cc1obj", errno 28, No space left on device
cpio: Cannot write "reloc/libexec/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/3.4.2/cc1plus", errno 28, No space left on device
cpio: Cannot write "reloc/libexec/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/3.4.2/collect2", errno 28, No space left on device
cpio: Cannot write ", errno 28, No space left on device
cpio:

pkgadd: ERROR: attempt to process datastream failed
- process </usr/bin/cpio -icdumD -C 512> failed, exit code 31
pkgadd: ERROR: unable to unpack datastream

Installation of <SMCgcc342> failed (internal error).
No changes were made to the system.

The output of df -k is
>df -k
Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 1228230 822525 344294 71% /
/proc 0 0 0 0% /proc
fd 0 0 0 0% /dev/fd
mnttab 0 0 0 0% /etc/mnttab
swap 170432 0 170432 0% /var/run
swap 170752 320 170432 1% /tmp
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7 7361877 3696670 3591589 51% /export/home
humr:vnmr1 2>

How can I solve this problem? (install gcc?)

How can I solve this problem so that I can install gcc and then proceed to compile Samba?

Prosper.

why don't you try moving and compiling the package in a directory under /export/home? you are running into space issues with the build ...

I tried to install at /export/home but I am still getting exactly the same error!

Prosper.

i just checked the Sunfreeware gcc comments and it said that it wants to install the package in /usr/local ... try creating a directory in /export/home and then making /usr/local a symlink to it ... then try again ...

I tried that still getting the same error

Does anybody knows how to free up memory in this Solaris 8?