Gcc for AIX

Hi,

I am working with AIX5.3 and I downloaded the gcc-4.2.4.tar.bz2 from the site and when I am trying to un-tar it.It is throwing error--

Please help me to resolve it.
Thanks in Advance..

tar: 0511-169 A directory checksum error on media; 13945 not equal to 42287.

you file is damaged, better install gcc from the linux toolbox, can be found on the ibm site and in the aix-link collection here in the forum

you need the rpm package from the aix install cd, perhaps it's already installed on your system

Edit: http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/software/aix/linux/toolbox/download.html

can you please tell me the web-site address from where i can download gcc for Aix5.3..

thanks..

here again :wink:

click on Alphabetically and choose it from the list

Hi funksen........

I downloaded the gcc-4.2.0-3.aix5.3.ppc.rpm from the website given from you and try to install it.I do the following steps to install it--

1)put gcc-4.2.0-3.aix5.3.ppc.rpm in /usr/sys/inst.images directory.
2) create .toc using inutoc /usr/sys/inst.images
3)start smit
4)select Software installation,select Install,install Software,
5)input device/directory : /usr/sys/inst.images
6)select gcc-4.2.0-3.aix5.3.ppc.rpm

start installation.......but I am getting the message "gcc-c++-4.2.0 Not found on the installation media".

I am also attaching the complete output.

Please help me to understand where I am doing wrong....

Thanks...

rpm -i /path/to/rpm/gcc-4.2.0-3.aix5.3.ppc.rpm

there will be problems with dependencies, but all dependencies can be found in the toolbox

in your case, the gcc c++ package is missing, download it too

and libgcc I think

Edit: and please start reading your error messages, since your first post would also be absolutely clear if you just read the message

I beleive that your initial problem was the version of tar. I'm pretty sure that when I downloaded gcc, I had to use gnutar rather than tar to extract the files due to that same problem.