Full zfs - cannot import

I installed Solaris 11 Express on my machine and created a raidz2 filesystem over 5 harddrives.

Thas was a few months ago. Unfortunately, yesterday I made a mistake in free space calculation and tried to copy more data to the fs than how much space there was.

When the fs got full, the computer got immediately restarted and now everytime I try to import the full filesystem, the computer gets restarted again.

The data on the fs are quite valuable to me.

Please tell me how to get my data back and how to prevent such situation in the future (setting some quota somehow)?

Thanks in advance,
Dusan

Did you try booting from Solaris 11 Express DVD and importing the pool there? Then you can remove some files to free space.

I tried booting from an Solaris 11 Express USB live flashdisc and importing the pool there but even there when I typed zfs import the computer restarted.

Dusan

You might try to import the pool with the "readonly=on", "failmode=continue" options, and possibly also in recovering mode "-F".

This worked - thank you jlliagre.

I am now interested in what is the best way to prevent such situations (e.g. having a full zfs filesystem and having to take these special steps to repair that)? Ideally it would never allow me to fill the filesystem so much that it would stop working like this time.

Thanks
Dusan

You can set ZFS quota on the filesystem. Check ZFS Quotas and Reservations - Solaris ZFS Administration Guide