Full text searching for multiple items

I am trying to find a solution to a request here at work. I have been asked to do a full text search of around 300,000 files for multiple content items.

The following words need to appear in the file.
(april and\or may) and pie and (red and\or white).

So a file with the words april pie and white would be valid, but a file with only the words april and white would not.

a file with all the words is ok also, I have tried egrep with regex but its not doing what I need. So I figured I needed to write something in shell or perl.

any help appreciated.
Thanks

egrep -l "april|may" * | xargs grep -l "pie" | xargs egrep -l "red|white"

Thank you for the quick reply, when I try do to this, it gives me the following errors. The first egrep works, but the | xargs is where it fails. Any ideas on why i might be getting this. If it matters this is AIX 6.1. I have full read\write access to these files. Those are the only 2 files in my test directory i am using to see if I can make it work.

grep: 0652-033 Cannot open test
grep: 0652-033 Cannot open 1.txt

Thanks

#!/bin/ksh
ok()
{
    awk ' !arr["pie"] && /pie/ {arr["pie"]++}
            !arr["March or April"] && ( /March/ || /April/ ) {arr["March or April"]++}
            !arr["red or white"] && (/red/ || /white/) {arr["red or white"]++}
           END { for(i in arr) {k++}  exit( k==3 ? 0 : 1) }' "$1"                            
     print $?
}
find /path/to/files -type f |
while read fname
do
    [[ $(ok $fname) -eq 0 ]] && echo $fname
done

If the files are large and those keywords are scarce, then any solution has the potential take a very, very long time. Your "requirements" make the request seem more like homework, which I hope it is not. We have rules for homework.

The requirements are for lawyers, we need the full text search for some litigation. I changed the keywords because well no one needs to know what we are searching for. Thank you for your code, I appreciate the help, I am not good at scripting. If you would like conformation this is for a professional purpose I would be more than happy to provide that.

No, that's okay. However:
for 300,000 files you are going to be in for a long wait. I hope the lawyers pay you the way they bill us :slight_smile:

even better, is i get to perform this search with 40 different combinations of seach terms on all the same file sets. gotta love lawyers.