FTP: Why can i not use the ALLO command?

Hi guys,
I need to make use of the FTP ALLO command on a Solaris 10 OS. For some reason, FTP does not recognise the command as being valid. Does this command have to be enable> If so, how?

thnks,
Zaff

Post how you are trying to use the command and any error you are getting.

After the connection, i type the following:

ftp>ALLO 1000
?Invalid command

I get an "invalid command" error.

thnks,
Zaff

Try this instead
ftp>quote ALLO 1000

thnks RTM, but now i get:

ftp> quote allo 10000
202 ALLO command ignored.

That makes it sound like the server you are connecting to does not limit file size (or that the file size is higher than 1000). Have you tried sending the file without setting the file size with the quote allo command?

Also, you may need to give some more info - like if this use to work or not, what you are attempting to do, why you are attempting to use the quote command (did someone tell you to use it or what).

I basically need to findout how ALLO can be used to allocate space before a file is sent to the server, so that the allocated space can not be used by any other client who is also sending files. this should hopefully prevent the system from running out space while files are being transfered.

hope this helps.

Zaff

I have never seen a Unix system that supports ALLO other than successfully ignoring it. If you are having trouble creating a 1,000 byte file, or even a 10,000 byte file, the target filesystem must be full or maybe there is a permission problem. Why do you think that you need to use ALLO?

Edit: just saw your last response...

Sorry, you're not going to be able to do that unless you write your own ftpd.

well, if there are multiple 'puts' from X number of clients going to the same server, then i need to make sure that while the files are being transfered, that space does not run out. These will be large files (MB).

So is ALLO not supported by UNIX?
Is there a another way i can do this?

tnks,
Zaff

Well, you can have a lot of disk space. Then you can have tools or/and people who monitor the system for various problems, including free disk space. This is what we do. And it's how everyone else solves the problem.

I would certainly second these comments made by Perderabo. What is usually indicated in these situations is sufficient space to perform the task with some amount of reserve, monitoring, and proper housekeeping.