FTP thru IE

Hi,

I have a HP-Unix Box. I want to give access rights to FTP to other remote users. They will open the ftp site in the Internet explorer like ftp://ip_address.

Right now I've opened port 20 and 21, but this does not work. Do I need to open any other port????

Ronald.

Am not sure of the reply.

Have you started the ftp daemon in the unix box.

Basically what to do the clients get when ftp'ing to the box through IE ?

Hi,

ftp daemon will be started when ftp starts.

remote users open the ftp site using IE and copy data.

Ronald.

No, :confused:

How would a remote ftp client invoke a daemon on a server ?

Necessarily your ftp deamon should be available to accept the incoming connections to port -21 and spawn a new ftp process to handle the specific request from the client and the daemon would continue to listen for other incoming ftp requests.

hi

check whether the ftp server daemon available or not in the /etc/inetd.conf, if not add the ftp service line as that of the telnet and restart the inetd daemon
hope this will solve u r problem

/usr/bin/ftp nowait tcp .....

To add

OP had not confirmed whether the daemon has been running or not when the client made a request to connect.

Thats important :slight_smile:

generally in HPUX ftpd will be running along with inetd, so u need to confirm if at local server has ftpd properly written in inetd.conf , and check whether inetd running and it is listed in /etc/services and as a last step using any third party browser or file browser for checking the ftp protocol

I'm having following line in /etc/inetd.conf

ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/lbin/ftpd ftpd -la

and in /etc/services

ftp 21/tcp # File Transfer Protocol (Control)

Regards

Thats ok

Could you please check if ftpd is running or not ?

ps -ef | grep ftpd

dcdwst01:/ftp/ftpuser#ps -ef | grep ftpd
ftpuser 16901 16728 0 11:09:24 pts/0 0:00 grep ftpd
root 16522 771 0 11:07:11 ? 0:00 ftpd: 172.16.6.128: ftpuser: IDLE

Now, I have some other problem.

When I connect from command prompt for ftp it works(ie. ftp ip-address) and I can do mget ..mput also. But when I connect from IE, it does ot work.. What could be the problem.

Ronald.

You may need to enable "anonymous" ftp for this to work. Try to google on how to enable anonymous ftp on your unix flavour and see if it solves your problem.