FTP-Shell scripting

Hi Everybody,

I have come across a problem while doing FTP using shell scripting. So I request any of you can give some idea of how to go about solving the problem but i request you not to give the solution please. Because i'm a java developer newly into Unix shell progrmming and am very enthu to learn things.
Below is the description:

I'm doing FTP of multiple files of multiple directories from Unix environment to non-Unix environment.I'm able to FTP the files successfully but i want to check whether each file is successfully transmitted or not If it is not successfully transmitted then i have to resend the particular file. For this i thought of doing FTP second time so that i will get the uploaded file back and comute the check sum of both files then i can confirm about the FTP transmission,But to me it doesnt seem to be good design as it involves getting the files which leads to extra overhead.

So if any one can throw some light how to proceed it would be very great.

Thanks in advance,
RSC1985

You can't do any more to check the file has arrived safely and completely than the remote server will provide. If you have any access to the remote end, you can maybe add a process there that waits for the files and checksums them, so you can send a checksum file as well for comparison. If not, your plan, although heavy on bandwidth, is maybe the best you can do.