FTP-Shell Script-Performance issue

Hello All,

Request any one of Unix/Linux masters to clarify on the below.

How far it is feasible to open a new ftp connection for transferring each file when there are multiple files to be sent. I have developed shell script to send all files at single stretch but some how it doesnt suit to the requirement as well. I was asked to do each file transfer differently i.e one file per one ftp.

will it effect the performance of the system? Please throw some light on this.

Thanks,
RSC1985

Well you havent said anything about the sizing nor speed... difficult to answer like that...

Well, The size can be of 1MB,1GB or even 1KB also.Also the number of files also vary from time to time so we may not be knowing the size and number before we start FTP.

If we open many FTP instances will it be a problem? Please guide through.

OK for the files but what about the LAN? are your 2 boxes on same LAN? Is it an dedicated LAN, INTRANET or what? At what speed etc...
I have seen CISCO sitches drop by FTP transfers... (OK with really big files...and in certain conditions...).
My way of seing things:
In unix you loose priviledge as time passes and can to the extreme finish with something almost never ending...
So I would test the transfer time and be sure that in your normal conditions in doesnt exceed 5minutes, for it can change drastically depending of boxes charges both ways (one willing - the other overloaded...)