FTP script

Hi All,
Is there any command in FTP to concatenate the filename with current day and ftp this file from computer1 to computer2?

Example: Current day, 16/12/2005 (dd/mm/yyyy)

ftp abc16 ------------> abc16
Computer1 Computer2

Thanks For Your Time And Help.

Hi Cass,

YOu would need two seperate commands.

The concatenation would have to be done using Unix commands before you ftp the file over.

Hope this helps
Helen

or you can rename the file as you put it into the remote server ...

put localfile localfile_and_date

Thanks everyone for your replies. The problem is I need this particular file from Computer1 and it's in running sequence using the day, eg. abc12 (12th). My ftp script needs to extract this file directly from Computer2 without having to run any script in Computer1.

How about if you get a directory listing of the remote server (ls -l or dir for example) and write it to a local temp file. Exit ftp, sort the output to put the newest line at the end, tail -1 and strip out the file name, then start up a second ftp session and retrieve the file?

Don't know what ftp program you're using though so can't help with building a script.

Carl

Hi BOFH,
I'm using .netrc to do an automated ftp transfer:

ftp -i <IP Address>

.netrc
default login <username> password <password>
macdef init
cd <directory>
binary
get <filename>
quit

I've actually thought of ftp-ing the files using the names found in the temp file but I'm clueless on how to go about writing this script. Can you show me the ways of doing it? Thanks.

What's the output of the temp file? Are there a bunch of files? Maybe you could just mget them all and sort it out after it's downloaded.

Carl

The output of the temp file will contain the names of the files I wish to ftp. Is there such command during ftp session to read a temp file and mget all the names found in the temp file?