FTP script failing in middle , Error 421

All,

I know this question has been asked , but mine is different scenario

I am unsing HP unix, trying to transfer HP-Unix to HP-Unix.

I am transfering a bunch of file form machine1 to machine2. when i intiate my FTP script the files are getting transfered from machine1 to machine2. But after some time it is failing with the error below.

Partial files were transfered, and the below error "*** Source file not found in remote system:wcs" is not correct it seems i see the source file available. What is the below error mean , what might be the cause.

To note last month this job was running without any issue. Nothing changed the source code now it is failing

*** Source File: /eaa/20090124/100_aaaa_0999
{=======
Connected to 109.334.22.11
220 wc2 FTP server ready.
331 Password required for rus.
230 User rus logged in.
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
}=======

*** End : FTP on Aug 04 2009 10:55:56 PM

*** Source file not found in remote system:wc2

Thanks in Advance,
Arun

Instead of running a script, try to perform all the steps manually to see where the actual problem is. I suspect it is a permissions or authentication problem.

When i run individually yes it working fine the files are getting transfered.

The more i noted is that , the FTP is not failing at a constant point , it is failing at random position. But the error is same

421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

Thank you

Is the active connection switching between active mode and passive mode?

Are either of your systems running HP-UX 11.31?

I tried with passive mode , Even after that the script failed . I am sorry about my typo we are trying to trassfer file from Soloris machine to HP-UNIX

Please post the actual script and make it clear which computer (Solaris or HP-UX) is running the script. FTP can be push or pull.

Are both computers on the same LAN? How are they connected? Is there a firewall between them?

Some things to check:
1) Ensure that both computers have their LAN cards set to NOT auto-negotiate and that the LAN ports for both ports are set to NOT auto-negotiate.
2) Set the block size for ftpd on the HP-UK box in /etc/inetd.conf to 32. The value 32 is smaller than the default of 56.

Thanks you for the clarification.

1. We are getting files from Solaris machine to HP-Unix machine
  2. THese computer are connected by firewall
  3. The ftp script runs on HP-Unix machine and will get the files from Solaris machine.

i will let my unix admin know about your 2 points.

But to note that some time it is getting arround 400 files and it failed with the error some time it fails after transfering 10 files.

One thing which i noted is , it is failing when i am moving the file one by one from a directory. I mean here is when a directory has 20 files and like this i am haivng 10 directory , currently i am establing a connection for one file after transfering it i am closing the connection. And like this i am doding that for all the files in each directory

if i transfer as mget after login and get the file it is not failing