FTP Quote - will it work?!

Hi,

SCENARIO:
I will be FTP'ing a file to a remote server then running an FTP Script on the destination server remotely. Can I achieve this via FTP and the "quote" command, anyone got experience using this?

FTP Script (untested as I can't FTP the files freely..live environment)

open Server
user username password
cd destination directory
lcd source directory
put file renamedasthis
quote ksh /thisdirectory/autotrans  /thiscript/ftpthefilesomewhere
close
bye

Whilst I am assuming quote can handle this, is there a better/different way of executing the remote FTP script (easy way)?

Unless the remote FTP server supports a ksh subcommand, the ftp quote subcommand cannot be used for this purpose.

The purpose of the quote subcommand is to bypass the FTP interface of your local host. It is typically used to send commands that the remote FTP server understands, but that the local FTP client does not understand.

thanks,

I think the remote server does support the ksh commands..because i took the command from that server (i just need to execute it remotely).

I just wanted to make sure FTP could execute the script and it wasn't limited to just unix commands (like chmod or user etc)??? (another ftp script in this case).

I think you are mistaken.
The ftp command only responds to ftp commands.

As others advise, the "site" command is for local non-standard commands (see "man ftpd" on the target computer).

What Operating Systems and Shell (with versions) do you have on the source and destination computer?
Do you have administrator access to both computers?

Source Server = Solaris 10
Destination Server = Solaris 9

I have root access to both servers.

I will be transferring 1 file from to destination from source, then I need to move that file from the destination to another windows server (FTP already in place for that part, that is why I would like to remotely activate that script)

what do you mean by sell version?

As you are using plain FTP between the servers, I assume that you trust the network to handle unencryted traffic. Could you consider a command to follow the FTP code you have written to put the file to issue a remote shell command to the destination?

#!/bin/ksh
#
ftp -n <<-EOFTP
open $destination
user bob password
cd $target_dir
put $file $targetfile
quit
EOFTP

rsh $destination "$shell_command with parameters"

You will need to open up the destination to accept the remote shell command, but if that is the way to go, we can talk about that later.

Many here will probably suggest that SFTP is a better method, and with that you would SSH remotely run the command, but I cannot comment on how to set that up.

I hope that this is useful.

Robin,
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

io'll google rsh tomorrow

SSH is a possibility, how can I achieve it though!?

I'd suggest looking into ftp's "proxy" command - Sun's "ftp" does support 'proxy':

proxy ftp-command
           Executes an FTP command on a secondary control connec-
           tion.  This  command allows simultaneous connection to
           two remote FTP servers for transferring files  between
           the  two servers. The first proxy command should be an
           open, to establish the secondary  control  connection.
           Enter  the  command  proxy ? to see other FTP commands
           executable on the secondary connection.

Something along these lines....:

( cat <<-EOF
        open ${FirstHop}
        user ${USRfirsthop} ${PASSWDfirsthop}
        proxy open ${SecondHop}
        proxy user ${USRsecondhop} ${PASSWDsecondhop}
        put File2firsthop
        proxy put File2firsthop
        EOF
) | ftp -n -d -v
1 Like

thanks that does sound useful.

So "ftp quote" will definately not work and "ftp proxy" is a better choice. From the man pages it seems to do the right stuff. Unfortunately for me it seems I will need to create the scripts from scratch...there is a lot to dowithout any testing yet and only 2 days...

EDIT - it is plain FTP, internal network (basically)

A sample code with 'proxy' should get you started - ironing out the wrinkles shouldn't be too hard.
Post back if/when you get stuck...

does the proxy connection act as an ftp connection from the destination server?

It is refusing the connection (timing out), this can only be the case if the connection is coming from my server. The destination server (i know for a fact) has correct connections to the various other servers.

Please, post the code you're trying....

A-->B-->C

You're trying to push a file from A to C via B. Correct?
And your 'proxy' connection between B and C (when initiated from A) times out. Correct?
Can you ftp from B to C? Not as a 'proxy', but directly?
Login (telnet/ssh) to B and ftp to C? What happens?

hi,

I am trying via command line before I script it.

I can telnet to B and FTP to C (yes I can directly FTP from B to C), at least connection is fine, I didn't actually move any files.

Commands I am trying, from my source server (A):

ftp serverB
user  blahblah
password  blahblah
proxy open serverB

As it fails, i don't do anything else. If I use IP Address it just sites there, if I use the DNS name it returns "Unknown Host: or invalid literal address".

From A you should try - make sure your connection to B successful first

ftp serverB
user  blahblah
password  blahblah
proxy open serverC

apologies yes that is what I tried, I can connect successfully A -> B

it is B-C that is failing

I can connect directly to B via telnet then ftp to C (just not via ftp proxy)?!

Looking into "rsh" at the minute, to see if it works.

In this case the ftpd on B is not configured to be used an 'ftp proxy' - I don't know what's missing.
I could 'ftp proxy' between 3 Solaris boxes in my lab and have been using this 'trick' on a couple of projects.
Sorry, I guess the 'proxy' is out the window - unless somebody knows the culprit....

Ooo light at the end of the tunnel...

i got Ftp proxy working (ish)

Following the same commands earlier but using IP address I get this error message:
"Already connected to serverB IP Address, use close first"

then as before:

ftp serverB
user  blahblah
password  blahblah
proxy open serverC

not working, I attempted a different IP address in a range specifed for my firewall, it worked. When I tried the ip address which was specified for server B (and C's) firewall it fails...its a networking issue which is causing this to fail.

I need to try and get rsh working - Can anyone give me examples of how to use this, specifically from command line for testing then I can implement into a script like the kind user showed. Will rsh be able to execute an FTP script - "ftpscript1" as a normal user would?

i appreciate your help btw

---------- Post updated at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:06 AM ----------

going to ignore ftp now.

ssh access seems the most likely or a cronjob (can someone help with a script)..also ssh always prompts for password -need to avoid that.