ftp questions

Hi,

Im trying to setup a anonymous FTP server. I am using Solaris 9 and I am trying to use the ftpconfig command.

According to the man page on this command it will copy and set up all the components needed to operate an anonymous ftp server, including creating the ftp user accounts, etc etc... Check out the man page if you want to read the rest. :slight_smile:

I am able to connect then comes back with this when i enter my email address as password;

331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
Password:
530 Login incorrect.
Login failed.

tried using anonymous and just hitting enter

Do i still have to edit my etc/passwd and /shadow file after doing the ftpconfig??

Any help is appreciated......

It probably gave the ftp user a shell of /bin/true and that is not in your /etc/shells file. Caution, you may not have an /etc/shells file.. If so, do a "man getusershell" and create a /etc/shells file with all of the shells on that man page. Then add /bin/true to that.

What command options did you give when attempting to do this?

Did a ftpconfig -d /anonymous

It states in the man page that if you use the -d option it:
Create a new or update an existing ftpdir WITHOUT creating or updating the ftp user account.

That's why there is no such account.

Thanks RTM thats what it was. just ran ftpconfig /anonymous and created both passwd and shadow accounts for users.