FTP problem

We recently moved offices and checked our network ID. I have configured all the files that I am familiar with and am able to telnet and ping from my pc but I am unable to ftp. Any suggestions...Thanks

Does your new network have a firewall? Maybe a network proxy?

we do have a firewall but it is the only one of the unix servers that is having a problem...so I am thinking there is some config file that is still pointing to the old network maybe....at first I was having problems telnetting but then found that there were still some files pointing to the old network and was able to telnet but still no luck with ftp.

Try telnet host 21
Does it say connection refused?
1) Is ur system i.e client in a different LAN than the one on which ur ftping. 2) Have the IPAddressing scheme, I mean the subnets changed.
3) On UNIX server the basic FTP security is set in /etc/ftpd/ftpusers or just /etc/ftpusers, in /etc/ftpd/ftphosts and in /etc/shells. The ftphosts file if doesnot contain ur systems' IP then it wont' allow.
4) Lastly, did u check on the UNIX server itself whether u can run the `telnet localhost 21` cmd and get a blank or connected screen. Just to check whether FTP server on it is responding.

I tried the telnet host 21 and it failed from my workstation.

1) I am in a different network then that of the server but all the appropriate changes we thought were in place.

2) I looked in the ftpusers file but there are no IPs just lists of users

3) I tried to telnet localhost 21 and first it said connecting to address ::1: connection refused. Then it was able to connect to the loopback. I am sure that ::1: refers to an IP but I am not sure of the convention.

It's the IPv6 version of localhost. Possibly you want to disable IPv6 while you are troubleshooting this, although it might not be the reason for the problem.