FTP on AIX

Hi All
We have planned to communicate with our trading prtner via FTP.
We both have servers running on AIX. We want to exchange files with each other via FTP.
I am new to AIX. Any help appreciated:)

Might I suggest that you use sftp of scp (Secure transports)
And also setting up a machine to machine authentication so that passwords and such do not get sent on the open network.

If possible scp would be best solution.
I.E. scp <file name> <user name>@<host>:<dir to put file and new name if wanted>

Yes, please do use SFTP and not FTP. It will be better for both of your companies. Post any setup questions you have.

Thanks aix-guy and kah00na

But we have already agreed to do FTP. so I am looking for any help on FTP..

Do I need to wirite any script for this?

It's a poor idea. It's barely if at all scriptable, and sends passwords as human-readable/interceptable plaintext.

I take it that you have > 1 file for > 1 partner. So yes you should be able to do it all in ksh.
The ftp command is same as all unix so if you know how to ftp and send login and pass should be good to do the script.

Customer will be placing some files in particular directory and we have to pick that files for further processing and vice versa. is it possible to give them access to particular directory only? I think they need userid and password also..

Thanks

ok depending on how much you want to lock the user down. You might want to get and install something like vsftp. It will allow more configuration and control than the standard ftp.
Or maybe even put up a Linux server and send/get from that server. Then just copy the files from it to you AIX server. And yes at least a login and pass for control.