ftp connection problem

Hi all,
i am not able to connect the ftp through userA.

Can you please tell me what are the possible ways to troubleshoot
this issue?

Regards
krishna

First I would make sure that other users can connect, and log in. If not, check the /etc/inet/inetd.conf on the server to see if FTP is enabled. [Solaris 10 check the "services" (svcs -a | grep ftp) and look for "enabled" or "online" in the left hand column.] Either edit the inetd.conf and remove the 'comment' ( # ) from the first column, or enter the command "svcadm enable /network/ftp".

DISCLAIMER: I have not mentioned ANY of the issues involved with enabling FTP on a particular machine.

If it is only this user (userA) that cannot login, I'd check to make sure they have an account on the FTP server that they can login to, that their name does not exist in the /etc/ftpd/ftpusers file, that the host they are coming from is not disallowed in the /etc/ftpd/ftphosts file (could be coulpled with their username), that the SHELL their account uses DOES appear in the /etc/shells file, and that the 'rules' setup in the /etc/ftpd/ftpaccess file do not block access.

The problem I am having is that I don't know/remember ALL the details of all the possible FTP servers that can be running on this server of yours, so I have only scratched the surface here. The files I mentioned may be in a different place on your server, or some (ftphosts) may not exist at all.

I hope this helps.

Thank you very much "dsbeerf".

regards
krishna