ftp connect from unix to NT machine

I've read some of the threads on here about ftping. It seems most relate to ftp-ing from one unix environment to another. What I'm looking for is a way to ftp files from unix out to an windows NT machine that is connected to a network. If anyone has a simple or complex example, I would sure appreciate any info. Thanks!

when you are sitting on the winnt box you could use the ftp command "get" in wincmd ftp. when you would like to put files on your winbox when you are sitting on you unix-workstation, you have to set up an ftp_server... there are good 3rd partie softwares for non commercial use like: Cerberus FTP Server

greetings Pre�y

thanks for the quick reply pressy, but don't have the flexibility of getting 3rd party software... and in the longrun it would benefit to have just have the environment to worry about. Thanks for the suggestion...

Pre�y, I think that he wants to run the ftp client on unix and connect to a ftp server on a NT box.

You cannot ftp into any system (NT or Unix) unless the system is running an ftp server. It is rare for a NT box to do this, but it happens. The NT ftp server is very much like a unix ftp server.

One difference is that NT has a concept of a domain and you must use this together with a user name. If I had a NT account in a domain called unixfolks, I would give my user name as unixfolks/perderabo.

Another difference is that the output from the ftp dir command looks like the output from an ms-dos dir command. You can use the command "site dirstyle" to make it look more unix-like.

That really is about it. I have ftp'ed into an NT box as I write this (from a unix system) and I don't really notice too much else.

You can set up an ftp site on the NT box using IIS.

Hi all,

first do we necessairly want to have a FTP server running before we start FTPing the files from unix box to NT box.

can you people help me with some shell scripts which will help me in FTPing the file from Unix box to NT box.

regards
Ruchir

The default directory listing style can also be set in the Internet Services Manager by right-clicking on the FTP site icon in question, clicking on preferences, then the 'Home Directory' tab. In the Directory Listing Style fram, click UNIX and hit apply.

So Perderabo, would this be the same when trying to ftp out to a Windows XP Professional pc as well?

I assume so, but have never tried that.