fresh admin

hi everybody

i'm just recreuted as UNIX system admin...
please tell me from where do i have to begin...

best regards

do you have any experience with unix systems what so ever?

i have experience on linux Red hat 8.0 system....

but on unix this will be my first experience...nevertheless i am an information technology graduate (engineer)...so i'll progress with some help...

thanks

Well, that is a pretty broad question, so here's a pretty broad answer . . .

The best source for Solaris stuff is docs.sun.com. They have html and/or pdf versions of tons and tons of their manuals.

For HP/UX I found the message boards on HP's ITRC website to be very helpful when I was trying to convert my Solaris knowledge into HP.

For AIX I know IBM has a big documentation website kinda like docs.sun.com with some of their manuals online. I don't remember the link, but it was easy to find navagating from the support pages of their main website.

Good luck!

thank you all...

you will here about me in next few weeks when i'll post more significant questions..

~wishes it was that easy to get a Admin role~

Unfortunally that is normally how it happens. We had a sysadmin leave and I wa informed that I was the new SysAdmin (I am a DBA). After reading a bunch of books and being sent to Sun School, I got to be pretty good.

This is the "Solaris Guide for New Sys Admins" from sun:

There is an Admin Section on www.sun.com/bigadmin

To get an overview of Sun Hardware:

sunsolve.sun.com

You can view there any system config , pictures and product-related documentation

networkfre@k

good way to learn as well (I forgot to say in last post) go toa good book store and get the Solaris Sys admin study books for the exams (014 & 015 for Soalris 9) and then read that. Then you can also sit the tests!