FreeBSD 4.7 X issues - assistance req'd please

question:
i just installed FreeBSD 4.7 on my laptop, when i log in as root, i can startx no problem at all but when i try to start it as a user, i can't. otiginally it told me i needed to be a member of the group 'wheel' to do startx, no problem, added myself in /etc/group, but for some reason i still can't startx as a user.

edit: actually, i can't startx as root either now, and as far as i can tell, the only thing i changed in my XF86Config file was to change the mouse type from ps/2 to usb, and the curious thing is that my mouse now works (and has a 3d look graphical pointer!) in the text-only screen, and i can't startx (most confusing - how's it displaying the mouse pointer if there's no X?)

anyway, here's the error log of the user who cannot startx despite being a member of group 'wheel', I am not going to post the error log of the superuser X problem because i plan to fiddle more with the XF86Config file since i know that's where the problem lies (i think) and anyway, the error log for the superuser was huge..

Any help sorting this out will be much appreciated. Thanks muchly in advance.

I presume it is a permissioning error of some kind, but i really don't know what it might be (being more a linux user).

edit: and not a very competent one either or i am sure i could spot what is going on pretty sharpish! :slight_smile:

Try this (on the command line) and see if it helps:

DISPLAY=localhost:0.0; export DISPLAY