Forwarding already received mail?

Greetings to all of you. I am a tad desperate here. I have found MANY articles scattered across the internet from google searches and unix.com searches for how to forward mail that say:

Create a ~/.forward file and put XXXX in it.

This is not what I need to do.

We have bunch of users who sendmail mistakenly delivered mail LOCALy to after an upgrade to AIX 5.3. For instance, a message sent to johndoe goes to /var/spool/mail/johndoe, then John can run mail from a command line and read his mail in /var/spool/mail/johndoe and then it gets transferred to /home/johndoe/mail.

The problem WAS that we needed our customized sendmail.cf file and the upgrade overwrote it. So... Now I have to find a way to forward all of these reports and such that were delivered locally out to the real addresses on other servers. Ie. the mail above to johndoe should now go to johndoe@dennis.com.

How on earth can this be done? I can see the mail out there and maybe I could write a script that will send out the messages but wow that will be a huge pain. Some of the messages have uuencoded attachments that I would have to work out some fancy perl script to extract and mail.

I can not be the only unix guy who has ever wanted to "convert" the messages in /var/spool/mail to something else and forward them on.

If noone has any ideas, can you point me to a pop daemon for AIX that I can install and then use to pull mail out and forward it on?

Many, many thanks. And if I find that magical fix 5 minutes after writing this, I will post it.

As promised, here is what fixed this 'problem'.

I was unable to get a Mail Delivery Agent (ie. dovecot, popd, imapd, etc) running on the AIX server. So I tried copying the /var/spool/mail/johndoe file to /var/spool/mail on a linux server that did have imapd running. At that point, after setting the rights to the file and creating a user who can access it, I was able to download the mail using IMAPD and then i could use the imap client to forward the mail to the intended users.

=)

So, the unix /var/spool/mail and /home/user/Mail file formats are compatible across different *nixes it seems.

Use with caution.