Fortran program issue

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:
    I was given this program to work with that is supposed to work as it is. It comes with a makefile so all I should have to do is use the make command, then type ./blub to execute the program. A list of data should then appear in the fort.51 file. The initial conditions can be modified in continue.f.

It sounds simple enough, but I can't get it to work - after executing the program, my tcsh shell disappears, nothing happens and the fort.51 file just stays empty. Could anyone perhaps look at the program and see what is going wrong?

http://www.students.science.uu.nl/~3418138/ZC.tar

1. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms:
    Nothing.

2. The attempts at a solution (include all code and scripts):
    I've tried using a bash shell, but the result is the same. The program should work as it is according to my professor, so I'm stumped as to why it doesn't do anything.

3. Complete Name of School (University), City (State), Country, Name of Professor, and Course Number (Link to Course):
    Universiteit Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands, Professor H. van Dijk, no course ID available.

Please post your Operating System and version.
Are you compelled to use tcsh ? That Shell is rarely used in Systems Administration.

Please post the example in plain text. Most of us would not download a tar file without knowing exactly what is in the file (that is if our browser allows it at all).

Please post an example of what you typed and what happened.

I can only use bash or tcsh, but it works on neither. I've attached a picture of what I'm doing. It was supposed to work this way, so I was told. The output should appear in the fort.51 file. If I open it with 'vi fort.51' however, it's empty.

I downloaded the linked tar file into a VM and unpacked it. It contains some FORTRAN source files, a makefile, and some nondescript files. The makefile specifies the Portland compiler, which is commercial software. I have no license for this, so i could not compile the source - at least not in the way it is supposed to be compiled.

But there is an executable "blub", which seems to be what the makefile produces, so i tried to run this. Unfortunately it complains about a commercial library for numeric operations (NAG libraries) which is missing Obviously the version of "blub" in the tar-file is linked against that library.

Sorry, but i can't help you - i won't buy a compiler or a library just for tests. Probably all the others here will see that the same way.

I had a cursory glance at the source, but there is nothing obviously wrong. That does not necessarily mean that the program is correct, but there is no trivial error to spot.

Good luck.

bakunin