FORTRAN Compiler

Need assistance in Fortran Compiler

I need to install Fortran compiler on Linux distribution . I don't have root access to use rpm or yum to install compiler . Is there any way I can get it ?
Are there any sites that has fortran compiler . Any links to download and install .

Installing a compiler without root access is difficult and unlikely to work.

Also, you probably need a compiler to do it.

Can you just use a different machine?

How about using a online compiler?

--ahamed

This is a production box ...no online compilers

---------- Post updated at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:23 PM ----------

Corona688...Just by installing GCC compiler fortran is also installed as a part of this compiler is that true...

Generally, no.

If you don't have a compiler and can't install one, the logical thing to do is to use a different computer. Programs compiled on one computer should be runnable on another if their architecture and OS is very similar.

Thank you Corona688.

Suppose I install GCC compiler . Can i install Fortran on the system . Can you provide some steps for it

Depends on your system. Generally, a package manager like yum or rpm or emerge would be involved.

If you don't have root access for these, I suggest doing so on a different computer where you do.

1 Like

As a user not root, I often had to build from source, as the packagers did not allow relocation under my home dir or even execution not by root. The script 'configure' has options to suport this.

1 Like

Doing so generally requires a compiler...

1 Like

Hi.

I use 3 Fortran compilers:

gfortran GNU Fortran (Debian 4.3.2-1.1) 4.3.2
ifort (IFORT) 11.1 20090827
G95 (GCC 4.0.3 (g95 0.92!) Jun 24 2009)

on

OS, ker|rel, machine: Linux, 2.6.26-2-amd64, x86_64
Distribution        : Debian 5.0.8 (lenny, workstation) 

I installed all as binary. The first is the usual gfortran; I have not tried to install that in other than the system. I usually install the GNU compilers on most systems that I use. The second is the Intel Fortran compiler; this must be licensed, but a personal, non-commercial license has been available. The third has been a very good, free compiler. I installed ifort and g95 as binary, and NOT in the system, although it required a few soft links to get them running as though they were on the system. I generally do not install software into the system, unless it is through the package managers. The latter two above were installed in an area controllable by me ( /opt ), so I think installing somplaceinto one's home directory structure could be done.

I don't recall using the "outside" compilers with large libraries, like IMSL or NAG, and my guess is that you might need to compile such items with the appropriate compiler, but I don't know for certain.

If I had to suggest a starting place in your situation, I'd say look at g95.

You might be able to get some additional ideas at The Fortran Company | For Fortran Enthusiasts by Fortran Enthusiasts

Good luck ... cheers, drl

Intel

The G95 Project

Doing a source build requires a C or C++ compiler, depending on the Fortran distribution you chooose. Porting g++ requires a C compiler. Most UNIX systems have one.

Some binary distributions are in more flexible tar form, and do not need root, just unppack them in a subdir of your home dir.

There is a fortran to JAVA, and JAVA apps can be run even without windows local admin (but JAVA language install has to be done by admin empowered user).

1 Like