Format a compact flash card in Ubuntu

I need some assistance formatting a compact flash card in Ubtunu.

I connect up the CF card through a USB reader. Ubuntu recognizes the reader usb device, but does not "mount" the CF card as a device.

The CF card was formatted in FAT32 format.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

gparted

It should not need to reformat FAT32, Linux can understand that. It may be that it was partitioned improperly, however, with the device itself containing the FAT filesystem instead of the first partition -- I've seen this mistake fairly often on cheap flash devices. Please post the output of 'fdisk -l'.

genesis211:

I had something very close to this happen with Kubuntu. A USB thumb drive (Crucial Gizmo! 512Mb, just as FYI/TMI), formatted FAT by a Mac running OS X 10.3 Jaguar, suddenly stopped mounting read-write, and sometimes mounting at all, in a ramped-up KDE 3.5 I had running. I finally went to a Windows box, made an ISO of what was on it, reformatted it with HP's freebie USB formatter and then copied back the stuff from the ISO, keeping the image around in case it should happen again. Should the worse come to worst, you could follow that line of approach with your CF card (or try another reader).

Hope this helps.

BZT