folder existing and file existing

I want to look into a folder to see if there are any folders within it. If there are, I need to check inside each folder to see if it contains a .pdf file

So

If /myserver/myfolder/
contains a folder AND that folder conatins a .pdf file
do X
Else
do Z

I may have multiple folders and multiple .pdf files under myfolder. I don't know ahead of time what the folder should be called to do a test. I don't care about the folder name. I don't know what the pdf should be named ahead of time to do a test either. I just care that something ending in .pdf is in the folder under myfolder.

So for each subdirectory, if the subdirectory contains a PDF file, do X, else do Y. What if there are multiple PDF files in a directory? The following will loop over them.

set -o nullglob
for f in /myserver/myfolder/*/; do
  pdf=false
  for p in "$f"/*.pdf; do
    X
    pdf=true
  done
  if ! $pdf; then
    Z
  fi
done

It is ok if a subdirectory contains multiple pdf files. It only needs to have at least one. If I have NO subdirectory OR any subdirectory withOUT a pdf, that should arrive at the same Z error.

Thanks for your help! Is that something I put into a script or put into a C program that I can call from the script. Forgive my newbie question.

That's a script, but it doesn't really conform to your requirements. Specifically, it ignores the case when there is no subdirectory.

The following is a bit contorted but should perhaps work.

#!/bin/sh
set -o nullglob
pdf=false
for f in /myserver/myfolder/*; do
  test -d "$f" || continue
  for p in "$f"/*.pdf; do
    pdf=true
    X
    break
  done
  $pdf || break
done