fmthard showing error with prtvtoc

Hi all,

I am trying to use the disk for mirror where in the mirror disk is of 160 gb and the rootdisk is of 80 gb. when i am trying to write the vtoc i am getting below error

i tried the below command

#prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 |fmthard -s -/dev/rdsk/c0t2d0s0

and got below

fmthard : Partition 2 specifies the full disk and its not equal
full size of disk. the full disk capacity is 267374640 sectors

what can be done apart from manually slicing the second disk

Thanks

Post the output of prtvtoc for both disks. Also do you want to simply ignore the send half of the second disk...that it pretend that it is 80 GB?

Please find the output of prtvtoc

Please find the output of prtvtoc

Second Disk

you can try this? :o
#prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 |fmthard -s - /dev/rdsk/c0t2d0s0

That's i what i tried, however no luck

Did you label your 2nd disk first?

No i did't, as there is nothing

he was pointing out a typo

Original:
-/dev/rdsk/c0t2d0s0

Fixed:

• /dev/rdsk/c0t2d0s0

label your disk 1st using the format utility and then try again

seg, you're slow :slight_smile: just now he didn't even had the "-", then he edited that

Thanks incredible! That's true it was not in the post

I just labeled it and then tried however same error :confused:

haha, doh! just started the daily forum browsing.

OP: look i think you're going about this whole thing the wrong way. If both drivers were the same size and vendor then a copy of the partition table (using slize 2!) would be fine, but given the situation as I understand it you should just run format and manually set the partition table to match as needed. It's not terribly complicated.

prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2 | fmthard -s - /dev/rdsk/c0t2d0s2

should work!

Thanks seg, that there in mind, however just thought if i can get some help from experts here :slight_smile:

I'm not sure I understand the tone or goal of that post. Do you think I am incorrect in recommending a manual partition layout?

Im sleepy here man, no wonder cannot "see and think" :slight_smile:

I am sorry Incredible , its not working working .

I just got to the see the below waring in dmesg " Corrupt label; wrong magic number " for the new disk.

is this one is the culprit ?????

Sure , we can also do a manula partition layout if command-line is freaking us out.. hehehe

That drive needs a label. Use format.

No seg, i am saying that's there in mind i was thinking if fmarhard work then well and good if not of course we have manual option