Firmware password

Hi:

I have a Sun Blade 1500 and when I do the Jumpstart with
command "boot net - install" asking for the password of the firmware
and I was not that password. There any way to reset this password.
Thank you very much

there should be a jumper on the systemboard to reset the nvram... systemhandbook points out a jumper 21. don't know if this works... you've to try.

Boot the system to OS level then check this:
#eeprom | grep security-mode
security-mode=command

If the above is true, do this:-

(to resolve/disable firmware password)
# eeprom security-mode=none
# eeprom | grep security-modesecurity-mode=none

OR you can do it in the OK> prompt
setenv security-mode=none

you have to enter the password to go to obp or to boot the os...

How if we power off the machine, pull out the disk and poweron? Wont it drop to OBP?

i read in SUN Solaris by Bill Calkins (chapter 3 pg 287) that if you forget the firmware password, you have to send the non volatile memory to sun support centre to reset the parameters.correct me if i am wrong

If the security-mode is set to command then you can boot, you just cannot add any parameters to the boot command at the OBP level, so if the machine does boot off local OS (i.e. boot-device is set to disk) and you know the root password you can reset the prom password to a know one by doing:

# eeprom security-mode=none
# eeprom security-mode=command

You will then get prompted for a new prom password.

N.B. man monitor gives you the manpage about the OBP commands.

If you don't know the root password but you have a second Blade 1500 available you can install an OS on it and make sure that you know the root password. Then switch the disk into the locked Blade 1500 and boot. Now you know the root password as can proceed down the path that Tony mentioned.

Note: I have never actually done this, but I believe it should work.