Firefox is already running, but is not responding.

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:
    I am logging in as a regular user, whose home directory is being mounted from nfs server. When I tried to open a firefox it gave me the following error.
    "firefox is already running, but is not responding.To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system."

But if I am running as a local user or root of that system, firefox is running. I

1. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms:
    I am trying firefox to run this.

2. The attempts at a solution (include all code and scripts):
    I run the following script to delete the lock files.

files=`find ~/.mozilla -name "*lock"`
for file in `echo $files`
do
    echo "removing $file..."
    rm "$file"
done

But nothing happened.

1. Complete Name of School (University), City (State), Country, Name of Professor, and Course Number (Link to Course):
    UTA, Arlington, Texas, USA, Dr. Wright, Course number is 5380

Note: Without school/professor/course information, you will be banned if you post here! You must complete the entire template (not just parts of it).

Well, are there any lock files in there it's not finding? Or is firefox complaining for other reasons?

I have deleted all the lock files with above mentioned script.
Now, there is no lock file.
I am unable to figure out why it is complaining.

If it is running, but not responding, what good would removing lock files do? Maybe you should kill it?

I restarted the system but still it is giving the same error.
I removed lock files because this user is not local user so due to multiple instances it could cause the problem.

OK, thanks.

And you know that the lock files are in that directory, and go by that name?

Perhaps we could start by simplifying that code?

find ~/.mozilla -name "*lock" -exec rm -v {} \;

It's a bit more robust than using for something in `everything` to process a list of things.

Yes, I know about it. But even after removing the lock files, I am unable to access firefox.

Have you actually checked to see if a Firefox process is running:

ps -ef  | grep firefox

Yes Its working now. I performed " service nfslock restart " on server.
Thanks everyone for help.

2 Likes