Firefox crashing

Firefox keeps on crashing every time I try to run it. I tried to create a new profile with no luck. When I try to open up the profile manager firefox crashes. I even deleted my profile folder and tried to start with a new profile. That did not work either. I don't know what the problem could be. I am not getting any error messages.

Can you reinstall Firefox and see if that works?

If not check this page for troubleshooting:

Firefox crashes when you open it | Troubleshooting | Firefox Help

In case you don't already: try starting it from the command line. You might get some error messages you don't see when you start it from a graphical environment.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Starting Firefox in Safe Mode is also a good way to check if there is any add-on that cause the crash problem.

What operating system? 32-bit or 64-bit? Did it work before? Did it stop working after you changed something on your system? Have you disabled all extensions and plugins?

Any idea what this means?

https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/4b62e481-c7b5-474b-b307-031752110716

It didn't give me any error messages.

Safe mode wouldn't work.

Fedora 15
32 bit
Yes
No. It was random.
The normal way wouldn't work so I deleted my profile folder and tried to let firefox create a new profile folder for me.

Using these commands fixed it. The normal methods of fixing firefox didn't work. So I tried to be VERY VERY thorough. I don't think the chmod helped me fix my problem but I thought I would mention it just in case someone has this problem in the future.

sudo yum remove firefox
find / -iname *firefox* 2>/dev/null
find / -iname *mozilla* 2>/dev/null
sudo rm -r /usr/share/mozilla
sudo rm -r /usr/lib/mozilla
sudo yum remove xulrunner
sudo chmod a-rw /usr/share/kde4/services/useragentstrings/firefox*
sudo yum install firefox-4.0.1-1.fc15.i686
  1. In the Firefox Location bar, go to about:crashes. A page listing crash reports that you've submitted will appear.
    [list]
  2. If you cannot start Firefox,
    [/list]
  3. Click on the latest crash under Report ID.
2 Likes