Find folder within folder, then find other folder in same dir

Hi all I'm new to your forum but not new to shells. I'm having a little trouble though as it's been quite some time since I scripted. Here's what I'm trying to do:

I'm trying to search a directory named '/var/root/Applications' for another directory 'fooBar'. The "Applications" directory contains several directories within with numbers instead of names. The directory 'fooBar' is inside of one of these directories. So for example: /var/root/Applications/2348970343/fooBar. I need to find 'fooBar' and then use that directory that contains it /var/root/Applications/2348970343/, and find a directory named "Documents" in that same directory. ALL of the numbered directories contain a folder named "Documents" so searching for that won't help. I need to find the 'Documents' folder within the same folder that contains 'fooBar'

find /var/root/Applications/ -type d "fooBar* -maxdepth 1 2>/dev/null

That code effectively returns the folder containing 'fooBar' for me. But from there I can't wrap my mind around getting the folder 'Documents' where 'fooBar' is contained. Thank you for your help in advance. :b:

find /var/root/Applications/ -type d "fooBar* -maxdepth 1 2>/dev/null | while read dir
do
   [ -d "$dir/Documents" ] && echo $dir/Documents
done

or

for dir in /var/root/Applications/*/fooBar
do
 [ -d "$dir/Documents" ] && echo $dir/Documents
done
1 Like

Ok awesome, now that I can find that 'Documents' folder, I need to search it for a filetype (.rar) and copy those to a folder. When I know where the 'Documents' folder is I normally do this:

find /var/root/Applications/known_folder/Documents/ -type f   "*.rar" | xargs cp -n - p -t /to/my/directory/ 

I dunno how to combine your search with my normal search. Thanks again.

edit: how bout this

do
 [ -d "$dir/Documents" ] && find "$dir"/Documents -type f *.rar | xargs blah blah blah?
done

Close :

do
 [ -d "$dir/Documents" ] && find "$dir"/Documents -type f *.rar 
done | xargs cp -n -p -t /to/my/directory/

Ok so the 'Documents' folder is in the same folder as fooBar but its not a subdirectory of fooBar. When I type what you've offered in terminal, it returns nothing. I look at it and it appears your asking me to have it test for 'fooBar/Documents' when in fact its /this/way/to/fooBar which is also /this/way/to/Documents. Documents and fooBar are in the "to" folder using this example.

ls -a /this/way/to

would produce about 50 obfuscated dirnames, inside of one of these dirs theres a subdir called Documents and a file named fooBar.

OK how about this
(requires bash or ksh shell)

do
    dir=${dir%/fooBar}
    [ -d "$dir/Documents" ] && find "$dir"/Documents -type f *.rar 

Eek, sadly I'm trying to do this on my iPhone which does not have bash nor korn, just plain ol' sh.
Also I'm getting paths must precede expression error...

find /var/root/Applications/*/fooBar/Documents  -type f -name "*.rar" -exec cp -n -p -t {}  /to/my/directory/ \;

No bash or ksh, do you have dirname:

do
    dir=`dirname $dir`
    [ -d "$dir/Documents" ] && find "$dir"/Documents -type f -name "*.rar"

@rdcwayx see post #5, also -t option of cp specifies the target directory

Documents is not a directory of fooBar. It's located in the same directory as fooBar. The reason I search for fooBar and not directory is because it is unique as all applications in the /var/root/Applications folder contain a Documents folder. I need to find the folder that has fooBar in it, then go to the folder named Documents which is also in it. Then I need to copy files from it once I've found it

---------- Post updated at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:14 PM ----------

I've used dirname before so yes that is present. I will test this later Chubler thank you as always man.