Find every directory named XYZ under the DVLP directory

I only want to find files under each branch of the directory tree inside directories named XYZ and there are multiple XYZ directories?

find DVLP -type d -name "XYZ"

EDIT: Actually, do you want the directories, or the files in the directories? Your post title & post content say different things...

I want the file names please?

---------- Post updated at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:17 PM ----------

Sorry about that!

---------- Post updated at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:18 PM ----------

would it be ?

find DVLP -type f -name "XYZ"

Try:

find DVLP -type d -name XYZ -print0 | xargs -0 -I{} find {} -maxdepth 1 -type f

EDIT:

find DVLP -type f -name "XYZ"

would get you files named XYZ. I think what you want is the files named anything which are inside directories XYZ?

Yes correct! Thanks!

---------- Post updated at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:23 PM ----------

Which code is correct? What does that xargs part do?

---------- Post updated at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:24 PM ----------

So to find all of the xml files under there it would be?

find DVLP -type f -name "XYZ/*.xml"

find DVLP -type d -name XYZ -print0 finds directories under DVLP which are called XYZ. -print0 outputs them NUL-terminated, which is just a precaution in case any directory names have whitespace in them.

find <path> -maxdepth 1 -type f finds files directly under <path> (i.e. it doesn't check subdirectories of <path>)

man xargs (linux) passes its input as arguments to the command specified. By default it separates its input using whitespace, but -0 overrides that to use NUL. Also by default, the arguments are supplied as the last parameter to the command, but by using -I<replace string> it will pass them wherever <replace string> is in the command.

In this case, I'm using -I{} , so xargs passes its input (the list from the directory find) to the files find as the path to start from.

EDIT:

No - that would find files which actually contain / in the filename itself (which is highly unlikely for Unix).

If you wanted all xml files under DVLP you could do:

find DVLP -type f -name "*.xml"

If you only want xml files which are in directories called XYZ which are under DVLP then you could do:

find DVLP -type d -name XYZ -print0 | xargs -0 -I{} find {} -maxdepth 1 -type f -name "*.xml"
1 Like

I want to find every xml file in XYZ directories under DVLP.

---------- Post updated at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:42 PM ----------

Then I could use another

| xargs to grep -l "Status" 

to get all of the xml files of that contain "Status"?

You could:

find DVLP -type d -name XYZ -print0 | xargs -0 -IREPL find REPL -maxdepth 1 -type f -name "*.file" | xargs grep -l Status

You could also just run it directly from the second find command:

find DVLP -type d -name XYZ -print0 | xargs -0 -IREPL find REPL -maxdepth 1 -type f -name "*.xml" -exec grep -l Status {} \;

EDIT: I changed the xargs string to something else as otherwise it's confused with find's exec string.