Files more than 60K

Hi All,

We have an application which is expected to create 12000 files per day. We have to archive files only after 6 days. As i know that maximum limit for files/directories to be created are 32K. What is that option/variable in Soalris to change this limit from 32K to 64K or any other value?
Thanks in advance.

mkfile 64k filename ??

I Hope there is no limit for files/directories to be created on solaris..!

You may be confusing with the kernel parameter for maximum number of open files?

What is the filesystem type?
What do you get for free inodes:

df -i

In Sun Solaris, UFS file system default maximum file size is 2GB which restricts the maximum size of any file will be restricted to 2GB. This can cause problems with applications like Databases. Solaris 10 by default however sets the Maximum file Size to unlimited on the UFS File System.

you can use
#ulimit unlimited
OR
#ulimit <size> <username>

Inside /etc/default/login file, set
ULIMIT=<size>

Can you provide a link supporting that limitation ? Performance definitely degrades with large number of files in a directory under UFS, but I'm not aware of any hardcoded limit.

Store these files on ZFS and there will be no limit you can ever reach.

Customizing UFS File System Parameters (System Administration Guide: Devices and File Systems) - Sun Microsystems
says "The maximum number of subdirectories per directory in a UFS file system is 32,767. This limit is predefined and cannot be changed." So any solution for this?

Your link is telling there is a maximum number of subdirectories but doesn't state there is any limit about the number of files. Your problem description was telling about creating files, not subdirectories.
Anyway, if creating more than 32k subdirectories is really what you need, one solution is still to switch to ZFS as I already suggested. You can create millions of files/directories in a single directory under ZFS.

Thanks jlliagre, u are correct, i said only about files but not the directories, which i discovered at the later stages that it was also a constraint. I shall look into switching to ZFS. Thank you all for the reply.