Files copied to FTP server not shown

I had copied 2 files to an FTP server which I deployed on my RHEL 5.8 server. The ownership I kept for the files are for the user, ftp. But, I do not see the files on the FTP location using either accessing through Windows explorer or the browser. The ftp location is ftp://10.101.17.80/incoming. The files are visible on the server when I login using root in the location, /var/ftp/incoming.

I hope, my query is clear.

Please revert with the reply to my query.

Regards

Upload directories usually allow only storing files but not retrieving.

proftpd for examples comes with an upload directory defined as

<Directory uploads/*>
      AllowOverwrite            no
      <Limit READ>
        DenyAll
      </Limit>

<Limit STOR>
        AllowAll
      </Limit>
    </Directory>

Thanks for your answer but the problem is that the files I had uploaded logging in as the 'ftp' user are not seen subsequently.

That's what I mean. The ftp server is hiding the uploaded files from ftp clients, even the one who did the upload.

The administrator of the ftp server is supposed to do something useful with the uploaded files, like inspecting them for unwanted contents and then move them to a different directory, where ftp clients can access them.

Hi,

What are the exact steps should I be doing to eliminate the problem? The exact sequence of steps would be greatly appreciated and helpful.

Regards

That depends on which ftp server software you have installed.

Hi,

I had installed the vsftpd package on the RHEL server.

Regards

Hm, I am not so familiar with vsfptd, but look into these settings in /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf:

• chown_uploads ... change ownership of all anonymously uploaded files
  • chown_upload_mode ... file mode for anonymous uploads
  • anon_world_readable_only ... anonymous users are only allowed to download world readable files