Filename character changes

I want to make a script for change filename's character not in English for a given directory. But I am not sure where am I starting from due to I am a little bit new user for scripts.
At least is there anybody can help me to make first step ,how can I find illegal or unwanted characters in file names and then maybe I have to make a conversion for example: from to i , from � to o... like this..

Thanks a million. :o

Surely the first place to start is to know what an illegal character is, do you have a finite list of them? And what you would want to convert them from and to? I think to do it for any given dictionary would be a massive job, could be wrong!

My list is limited for 10 characters, it is for characters those from Turkish to English, it is not a huge script nor a dictionary. Just want know a method to start; I have to use sed or awk or together ? like this , Thanks

I am not an expert but would guess use the substitute function of awk to do this and just run your text through it replacing each of the 10 characters should they occur, have you tried that?

If one character is to be replaced by another character (just one), you can do something like that (the echo is for debug purpose):

#!/usr/bin/ksh
# ScriptFile: special_rename
from='������'
  to='aeeeiu'
ls *[${from}]* |
while read filename
do
   echo mv ${filename} $(echo ${filename} | tr "$from" "$to")
done

Execution:

$ touch t�l�phone �_voir
$ special_rename
mv t�l�phone telephone
mv �_voir a_voir
$

Jean-Pierre.

I ll try it and try it develop.Thank you.