File system - question?

Hello,

I have few questions about file system in Unix and Linux.

1. What's the difference between Unix and Linux in their file system? Are they the same?

2. Is in Unix directory for administrator "/root" - like in Linux - Ubuntu or not?

3.Where is the users directory in Unix? Is it /home/(username)?

I know that OpenSolaris is Unix base OS from System V, so I download their live CD. Their file system are similar to Ubuntu. Except that I don't see the home directory.

I know this are very stupid questions but I need to now the differences.

Thank you for help!!!

file system type: they can be the same (fat), similar (ufs vs ext3) or quite different (xfs, zfs, reiserfr, whatever)
file system layout: they are only similar.

This is not a common Solaris practice. Root's home directory is traditionally and by default the root directory "/".

Yes. That's the traditional user home directory. Note that Solaris is by default having this directory being handled by the automounter to allow flexibility in actual data location.

Please elaborate. What says:

id
echo $HOME
ls -la $HOME

/root is same for all Unix and Linux distro , home directory is located on /export/home/user , because /home is munt point for AutoMounter.

Difference between Linux and Unix File system is that Linux is not good as Solaris UFS or better ZFS because ZFS is using EFI table of contenct so you can have partitions larger than 1TB , UFS is using VTOC and maximum default file size is 2GB which can be ovverwirten with mount option largefiles , and I can tell you from my experience linux is not so good as pure Unix (Solaris of course) but thaht is my opinion.:smiley:

And open Solaris can not see Ubuntu ext FS , and if you look for home directory of live cd , it is located in /export/home/jack