file system full (1 block extent)

When i run dmesg, I get the following message which clearly indicates that the file system is full. Please let me know what does (1 block extent) means in the following error message?

msgcnt 1 vxfs : mesg 001: vx_nospace - /dev/vg00/lvol4 file system full (1 block extent)

Thanks

your filesystem has used all available space. You need to either add more space, or clear up files that are eating up that space.

Thanks for replying !

My main question is : What does (1 block extent) means in the error message?

That is a VERITAS file system

In VxFS 1 block = 512 bytes in VERITAS (my memory deceives me at times..please verify)
What that message means "probably" is that the disk is full and its FS has a block size of 1 (if u set it at a block size of 64 bytes, i bet the fs size will come down but the disk will start crawling)

BTW, i have seen this error with one of my SUN box and i remember the disk went bad soon - call up VERITAS asap they will know better than i do

~s4g3

Hi S4G3,

The default block size is 1K for file systems up to 8 GB, 2K for file systems up to 16 GB, 4K for file systems up to 32 GB, and 8K for file systems beyond this size.

Now, I am not getting this message now bcoz I extended my file system. I was just curious why it is always 1 block extent whenever a file system full message comes.

There is a way to request larger extents. Then you might "128 block extent" or whatever. This would mean that you have no 128 contiguous block extents available.

Thanks all ! I will verify myself and post comments if I find out something different to what you said. Thanks again.