File system Confusion

Hello All,
I administer my department server and now Im assigned the job of installing a new server. The old server has no home directory but the user accounts are managed using a script and they are partitioned in /fs/grad, /fs/ugrad, /fs/fac, /fs/alumni. But when I finger for a particular user it shows (say) /u/bubba instead of /fs/grad/accounts/bubba. I understand /u is a symbolic link to /fs/grad/, but its not showing up anywhere, I would like someone to enlighten me on this coz I'd like to use the same setup for the new server too. Also is it worth my time following the aforementioned partitions for the new server , if so please mention the pros of it as this information would be greatly helpful to me. Thank you a zillion. Also the OS currently installed in the old server is Linux (Redhat 7.2 to be specific).

Maybemedic.

It is most likely the case that these directories are not linkd, but that they are being automounted on /u.

Check in /etc for the automount maps auto_master or auto.master and auto_home or auto.home, I cant remember which naming convention is used.