File Program issue in c

B17 -> B19	 [label="{10}"];
B17 -> B21	 [label="{4}"];
B18 -> B19	 [label="{4}"];

Can any one help with the pointer solution to check for this -> symbol and one it finds the symbol it should move behind 4 characters and store the string
B17 in an array and then move 4 characters ahead and similarly save B21 likewise for each line do as above..

void foo( char *src, char *behind, char *infront)
{
    char *p=strstr(src,"->");
    *infront=*behind=0x0;  // initialize to empty
    if(p!=NULL)
    {
         char *q=p;
         q-=4;                 // go four positions backward
         memcpy(behind, q, 3);
         behind[3]=0x0;  // mark the end of the string
         q=p;
         q+=4;
         memcpy(infront, q, 3);
         infront[3]=0x0;
    }
}

This is not succinct code but rather code to show how to do your task. Next time you should show what you have tried. Also this does zero error checking, e.g., what if you had B17-> in your file?

#include<stdio.h>
int main() {
  	char ch, file_name[25];
 	char wordChoice[2]="->";
 	int count=0,z=0,i=0;
    	FILE *fp;
 	char *a[100];
        fp = fopen("mergesort1.txt","r");
        if( fp == NULL )    {
       perror("Error while opening the file.\n");
           }

printf("The contents of %s file are :\n", file_name);
      char buffer[2024]; //Sorry for this.

while(fgets(buffer, 2024, fp) != NULL)
      {
               if(z==1)
               {
                       printf("%s",buffer);
                       z=0;
               }
               if(strstr(buffer, wordChoice))
               {count++; 		z=z+1;   }
          }
      fclose(fp);
   	printf("count:%d \n",count); 	 	  }

This is the code which searches for a string ie(->)in a file which is attached below and on finding it prints the next word after the symbol.In this code how is it possible to print the previous word before the symbol and save it in an array.

eg the file is this:
stylefilled
B02
fillcolorffe6e6
shapecircle
B01
->
B02
B03
shapecircle
B02
->
B03
B04
shapecircle
B03
->
B04
B05
shapecircle
B04
->
B05
B06
fillcolorffe6e6
shapecircle
B05
->
B06
B07
shapecircle
B06
->
B07
B08
fillcolorffe6e6
shapecircle
B07
->
B08

The file you show is line-oriented and you read it with fgets which is line-oriented. Yet, in your task description you refer to previous word / next word, which is a bit different concept in my mind.

In any case, for you to print previous "word" (in effect, previous line) just have another

char prev_buf[2024];

variable and at the end of the loop always copy buffer into it, like

while(fgets(...))
 {
   ... your code here ...
   strcpy(prev_buf, buffer); 
 }

This will allow you to print the previous buffer when you encounter the key word, as in your code

if(strstr(...)) { printf("%s\n", prev_buf); up your counts etc }

There's no need for that strcpy. If you have two buffers, using pointers you can simply swap prev and current.

Regards,
Alister

yes sir we were also thinking of having two buffer but i m not getting idea how to proceed with it..

I'm curious. Why are you using C? Does this program do anything besides process text? If not, and if this code is going to be used in production, given your level of proficiency, it would be wise to use a safer, higher level language which can manipulate strings without you having to directly manage memory and pointers.

Regards,
Alister

Sir actually i wanna programatically find if the code submitted by the user is taking recursive approach or iterative approach.. So for this i am genarating a call graph which gives a .dot file like what i have mentioned in the post.. so this B01->B02 they act as statements, so where in the whole file i get like this dat i am storing in an array and comparing like how many times B01-> B02... appear an proceeding further..