File opening prob. plz assist guys

Hi friends, this problem is pretty similar to the thread that i have generated earlier.
If the TXT file that i have opened using "cat" is huge then my putty can only show me last few lines. Similarly if i use "more" command to open a huge TXT file then it asks to press any key to scroll up the text.
Is there any way out by which instead of scrolling up whole file (like which happens when we use "cat") it will show maximum lines right from starting of file and den will ask to press any key to scroll next maximum possible contaits?
I hope i have put my problem succesfully before u.
Please assist guys.
Thanx in advance
Anushree

it will show maximum lines right from starting of file 

I don't understand this. What do you mean by maximum lines right from the beginning ?

Could you please elaborate based on line numbers in the file ?

check if less command is what you want

if i cat a file i can read last 241 lines only... i cant see complete file in one go... for e.g. i hv cat a huge txt file hving 5000 lines then i can see last 241 lines only. What can i do to see entire file? I m using linix / unix thro' putty

Have you tried the less command as Yogesh Sawant mentioned?
There are a lot of options to scroll within a file with less. You can search for patterns in your file with /pattern.
To go to line 50 you can type 50g, with 100 you can scroll 100 lines down etc.

Read the manpage of less for other options.

Regards

Dear Franklin, I dont kno how to use less command. Can u please assist me?
when i use less <file name> i am getting following error
ksh: less: not found

less is a replacement for more. If it's not installed, you will need to install it. It's open source, so you can download and compile it yourself; but if you are not familiar with basic Unix developer tools, it's probably easier to get it from your vendor. How and what exactly depends on your platform. For RPM-based Linux, try rpmsearch. For Debian and Ubuntu, apt-get install less. For big-iron "real" Unix, contact your local system administrator. You most likely need root access to install packages system-wide, but there may also be an option to install for your private use.

As era suggested, you can contact your local adminstrator. Maybe you can post output of the following commands here, which would help us to know where the problem can be.

whereis less

which less

Thanx Guys for all your prompt responces.. I will try each option that u ppl have suggested.
Thanx a lot once again
Bye take care

try the view command.

it will open a vi like session which is read only locked.